

## Notes UDO Changes to Neighborhood Meetings

### In attendance:

CAN: Patrick Gilbert, VP and Gov't Relations; Liana Hibbard, Gov't Relations, KRA President

City: Ben Woody, Assistant City Manager; Chris Collings, Site Planning & Development Manager

### Agenda: UDO Changes to Neighborhood Meetings

#### Updates on CAN:

- Patrick is terming out in April 2023; Liana will likely step into that role
- CAN is moving towards a professional staff, currently seeking funding

#### Topic #1 - UDO Updates

**Patrick:** Change from 200 feet to 400 feet for resident notification?

**Chris:** Yes

**Patrick:** Will Level 1 major development be included in UDO neighborhood meetings?

**Chris:** Level I major projects are still a sticking point for inclusion in the UDO amendments.

- Logistics are challenging to decipher between projects that qualify under Level I
- There are many reasons to pursue a Major Level I category. However, work has not started yet to understand what would need to happen
- UDO Neighborhood Meetings need to happen first
- Outdoor venues are also on the task

**Patrick:** (Backstory for Liana) this issue came up when there were improvements to an auto shop on Tunnel Rd. led to the removal of trees on the steep slope above the project. The other issue is drive-in restaurants and how they impact adjacent neighborhoods.

**Liana:** Thank you for the backstory, Patrick.

**Patrick:** How do outdoor venues play into UDO?

**Chris:** It depends on the level and whether or not there is a conditional zoning application.

**Patrick:** The noise advisory board has been interested in neighborhood input on outdoor music venues.

**Patrick:** So you are very far away from Level I amendments.

**Chris:** At least 4-6 months after it is drafted to get it on the books

- Also need to get feedback from the development community

**Patrick:** I seem to remember that the developer advisory committee didn't offer much objection.

**Chris:** I need to review, but I remember that. I need to check the meeting notes. I am trying to remember if Level I was included.

**Patrick:** So, is Fall 2023 a reasonable timeline?

**Chris:** I think so. There are some limitations as far as staffing to get it into the permit system, but it can be prioritized.

**Topic #2 - A development will be required to hold an additional meeting with neighborhood representatives where the proposed project is located when any three of the following design changes occur:**

**Patrick:** Can we include some objective criteria into the UDO, wherein a second neighborhood meeting will be triggered?

**Chris:** I'm comfortable with that. However, it may not make everyone happy. The local government has some constraints as far as staffing. This round of amendments could be achieved (to the council) by late Spring.

**Topic #3 - Schedule a meeting on a weekday between 6:00-8:00 p.m. Do not schedule a meeting during national or religious holidays.**

**Patrick:** Where did we leave the recommendations on meeting times?

**Chris:** Lot of concern and pushback – City officials work 9-5 pm, but other people need evenings. Concern as to whether codifying a time requirement will work? Language in current UDO is very “squishy.”

**Patrick:** Generally speaking, when are meetings typically held?

**Chris:** Generally evenings.

**Patrick:** And weekends?

**Chris:** Some weekends. Again, this is why it is difficult to codify.

**Patrick:** If most meetings are generally in the evenings and weekends, then there may be no need to codify. CAN was somewhat undecided on whether the timing needs to be codifying.

**Chris:** Meetings will need to be registered so that the City will be able to monitor any meeting anomalies, and developers can be asked to schedule a second meeting. Here, vague language may be in the City’s favor.

**Liana:** Regarding the notification. Is it a three-fold envelope notification or a postcard?

**Chris:** It is a letter; a postcard would be hard.

**Liana:** Is a telephone number offered for residents who cannot access a computer or do not have WIFI access?

**Chris:** That number is not currently on the notification, but we can add that. The call will go to the planner of the day.

**Liana:** Does the amendment also include notification to the neighborhood associations?

**Chris:** It does.

**Liana:** The current list needs to be updated. CAN is working with CAPE to update that list.

**Chris:** That is a great collaboration, thank you.

**Patrick:** Has the development page been updated to push Simplicity?

**Chris:** It has not, but that can be done.

**Patrick:** Can CAPE also work on doing pushes?

**Chris:** Yes, we had that conversation with Jeff, but not Kristina and Meredith. We will reach out to them as well.

**Patrick:** CAN has committed neighborhood associations to sign up to Simplicity, and I have a list, can share with the City.

**Patrick:** Has the neighborhood meeting guide been codified?

**Chris:** Yes.

**Patrick:** Have any neighborhoods used the neighborhood meeting guide?

**Chris:** Yes, I believe West Asheville did, but I cannot find it in the system now.

**Patrick:** Can the City publish a report on the neighborhood meeting compliance guide?

**Chris:** We need to transfer over to the Excelsa system. Also, our Excelsa wizard has made progress on porting over meetings to Simplicity for notifications.

**Patrick:** Rick and I had discussions with Ben and IT (Scott Bardwell) on how difficult Excelsa is to navigate.

**Chris:** I'm hoping a new system will replace Excelsa software someday.

**Patrick:** Will the neighborhood feedback and report still travel through the permitting process, and will that information go to the council? And is that information also included in the neighborhood meeting guide?

**Chris:** I can add that easily. I will do that today.

### **Meeting closing:**

**Everyone:** Thank you.

**Patrick:** Working in collaboration is the way forward, and Liana and I share that value.

**Ben:** We are grateful for the work being done by CAN.

### **Wrap up:**

- Spring for UDO amendments
- Fall for Level I major development

### **7.19 Amendments**

**Patrick:** Comments are added to the 7.19 and have been sent to Chris

**Chris:** We are hoping to have an urban forester onboard, but all 4 applicants withdrew their applications after seeing the exercise. Soft-excuses given. The City is trying to retool to attract new applicants.

