SERITAGE DEVELOPMENT, OLD SEARS PROPERTY, ASHEVILLE MALL, TUNNEL ROAD
Seritage appeared before the Asheville City Council on March 12, 2019. The result of that meeting was a continuance. Seritage informed us on October 1, 2019 that they could not meet the submission deadline to remain on the October 22, 2019 City Council Meeting agenda. They are now seeking future dates. We will update this HOT TOPIC when we receive a new submission or when the date changes.
The following issues require neighborhoods to come together to ask the City Council to take action:
- Building height of 92 feet exceeds the Asheville 80’ maximum height ordinance. We have communicated to Seritage in email, encouraging them to adopt two story buildings in an urban grid, where the second story would support enough apartments that the main apartment building could be reduced in height by one story, putting it in compliance with the current 80' maximum height ordinance.
- The traffic impact to White Pine Drive, the only entrance and exit to the Kenilworth Forest community has not been mitigated due to the NCDOT preference to reduce traffic on South Tunnel Road. We seek signage and Brackettown Road speed bumps installed by Seritage to direct traffic toward South Tunnel road.
- Seritage has agreed to conform to the ordinance that requires a type B buffer which is 30’ wide. Seritage has verbally agreed to install an 8’ high security fence in the buffer for the entire length of the border with Kenilworth Forest. We seek that location of the fence be included in the drawings.
- Seritage has added trees to all parking lots on the border with Kenilworth Forest. We have suggested that Seritage could allocate funds for trees to be planted on Kenilworth Forest border properties to satisfy total tree count requirements.
- Due to the proximity of the 92’ tall apartment building to our neighborhood, we are seeking commitment from Seritage to commit to implementation of mechanical equipment producing sound that meets noise standards either as documented in the upcoming new Asheville Noise Ordinance or 40dBa measured at several locations on the Keniworth Forest border.
Please follow progress on this website. We have communicated our suggestions to Seritage and hope to discuss their responses in the next 3 weeks. Updates will be posted to the CAN Hot Topics.
For further information contact:
President Kenilworth Forest Residents Association
Treasurer Coalition of Asheville Neighborhoods